This past weekend I ran the Oktoberfest 5K and got another PR!! 35:34!! YAY! I’m getting much faster- it’s so exciting!
This race was eventful in many different ways-
1. I got a speeding ticket on the way to the race (seriously I usually drive like a granny- the one time I speed I get a ticket. Bah!) which made me almost late for the race.
2. I wasn’t able to find Laura and her cousin Jennifer and they had my bib for the race. So I ran the race without a bib(hey I paid for the race, I wasn’t about to not run in it!). The whole time I was terrified I was going to get in trouble for not having a race bib on and I don’t really think I ran as well as I could have. Moral of the story- pick up your own race packet, you never know what might happen on the morning of a race!
3. I got to see my friend Laura run for the first time in 5 months! She’s been injured and this race is literally the first time she’s been able to run in a very long time. She looked so happy when Jennifer and I spotted her running up to the finish line. I very seriously almost cried. (which basically IS crying for me cause I’m dead inside ). I’m so proud of her!!
4. Another PR! Who AM I and how did I get so fast?! My next goal is to get into the 34s!
5. They ran out of water and snacks by the time I crossed the finish line but they had plenty of beer. (seriously?!) So I rehydrated with a beer. What?
Lessons learned from this race…
I did not take a single picture! I have got to start taking pictures at races so I can be not lame for copying and pasting the logo from the race website into my blog post!
I’ve got to work on running hills more! (which I’ve been doing this week- more in my post tomorrow about my 1/2 marathon training!) My calves were screaming at me by the end of the race.
Pacing. I’m still not good at it. I still have no ideas for this one!
I did better on the food thing before this race- I had half a bowl of cereal before I left the house and this worked so much better than what I have been eating, which was dry toast. My problem is that I can’t handle eating much before a race- it sits like a rock in my stomach and gives me horrible stomach pain when I’m running. But the toast wasn’t quite cutting it and I was getting hungry during my runs. I think the cereal’s going to work for these shorter distances.
Make sure you come back and check out my 1/2 marathon training recap tomorrow!